Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Master Bathroom: A Win for Mother's Hygiene

***Let me first apologize for my super long absence. As my few, sweet faithful readers know I was suffering with debilitating migraines throughout the year and spent the better part of 2014 so far in bed.  I am very happy to say that I am doing much better and that God in his infinite wisdom ( and through the help of a fabulous acupuncturist) has given me my life back, so I am hoping to get back into writing and maybe even be able to post more than once a month! *** 


My husband and I recently moved into our very own hotel suite.

Well, technically it's the master bedroom of our home.  When we moved out of our two bedroom, 1000 sq ft house in Dallas and moved into this magical 2700 sq ft home I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  Still, two + years later, not a day goes by that I don't stop and say "thank you" for the space.  But when we first moved in my saintly mother moved in with us and rightfully took the massive master suite as her new mini apartment.  

She moved out in June and although we miss he terribly, my husband and I are loving  the master bedroom.  You can walk around the bed without having to brace yourself on a wall, we can fit all our lovely bedroom furniture given to us when we got married that has always been split up and crammed in corners.  It's beautiful and clean (for now) and I am reminded every time I walk into it that it's nothing but a blessing as I have seen entire families in other countries live in less space.

But what has really changed my life is the master bathroom!

Who knew that having your own sink and a toilet not sprayed with little boy urine could make a girl so happy....and clean!   At the risk of losing my friends I will admit to you that I am lucky if I shower three times a week, and forget brushing my teeth every night (do people still do that? Is that a thing?).   All these years I had been chalking my less-than-ideal hygiene up to my lack of time and motivation both sucked out of me from 7 tiny (priceless and treasured) leeches ....but it turns out, if you give me a bathroom without blue toothpaste in the sink and the ever-faint (or not-so-faint) smell of urine on the floor, then I might actually find a reason to go in there even when it isn't absolutely necessary.    

And oh the glory of getting ready for church without four boys pushing me over to get the combs and gel while the baby risks a run to the burn unit of the hospital as he pulls on the cord of my curling iron one-too-many times.  Or, did you know it IS possible to pee by yourself?  If you slip off to the bathroom not within ear shot of the playroom or living room TV they might not know you left and you just might get to pee alone. If your smart and bring your phone with you, you might even be able to check your email while you're at it. It's a revolution!

We have only been in this room for three weeks and I have brushed my teeth almost every one of those nights, I think I even flossed once or twice.  It is also revolutionizing my marriage that we have a master bathroom with a door that discreetly closes off the toilet so that I can wash my face without watching my husband pee.  I have actually started using the eye creams and balms that I felt compelled to by in some vain attempt to revive the taut, wrinkle-free skin of my youth.  Not sure how that will pan out, but at least I'm not sleeping in my make-up anymore.

Already the little gremlins have tried following my back here, and sometimes I let them but many times I have  told them to get out and give me a minute in my hotel, because if there's anything I've learned in my 13 or so years of parenting it's that they're not going to die if you shut the door and pee alone and sometimes five minutes of alone time, wherever it is, just might save your life (or one of theirs!).



2 comments:

  1. Great meeting you today at the Tubes. You really were an inspiration and encouragement for me. I think God wanted me to run in to you. Thanks for being such an uplifting mommy. Be blessed! -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna!! It was so great meeting you! I just loved hearing the testimony of your little man and it was such a blessing to hear your faithful perspective on his precious life. It's such always a blessing when we open our hearts to what God has to offer, especially when what he has to offer is another human soul!! Count on my prayers for you and your boys and please email anytime! I hope we run into one another again! God bless!!

    ReplyDelete